What We're Watching: Shonda Rhimes' Bridgerton


What We're Watching: Shonda Rhimes' Bridgerton

Written by: Elyana Riddick || Date: January 11, 2021

    My mom and I were talking in the living room, lounging on our beige suede sectional, when she first mentioned Bridgerton to me. Prior to our conversation, I had no idea about the show. I did know of Shonda Rhimes; who wouldn't? She's the woman behind the most iconic of network TV shows like Scandal and Grey's Anatomy. As my mom began to describe the show from what she's read on the internet, I became hesitant. She shared that it was a period piece--a story based in classic feudal England playing on the pompous dating lives that young nobles must navigate. Squinting my nose, I gave my mom a hard Stank Face. I've never been a fan of period pieces due to their often-overplayed dramatics and cheap premises. She begged me to watch and I begrudgingly accepted. We put on Netflix and started the show.

    I will be honest; it was hard getting through the first episode. The episode's building into the plot the show would carry later felt very much "Shonda Rhimes" which was...disappointing. I mean, she is making millions off her signature formula, so maybe I'm not one to judge. The show's cast is diverse (as any show that crosses an American screen should be). One of the major characters pictured above is played by Regé-Jean Page, a black man who isn't shy of showing off his 4C hair with a widow's peak. To see him as the most desireable bachelor to the young noble women made me smile knowing that those features-- often seen as nappy and unkempt--are most attractive.
    
    The costume design and scene development were what encouraged me to continue watching. The colors, the pomp and circumstance, and the elaborate detail gave unique personality to everyone who crossed the camera; that accompanied with beautiful foliage and crafty lighting, the show did nothing less than give off a whimsical ambiance. 

    If you pay attention, the soundtrack (performed by a string quartet) in party scenes and dramatic plot points is deceptive. What you think is a typical accompaniment to a period-piece show is in actuality a string-rendition of modern songs--I found myself singing along to Maroon 5 and Ariana Grande, applauding myself for even recognizing the tunes. It was almost a game of name that tune--a game that I, a former orchestra student of seven years, thoroughly enjoyed playing.

    Bridgerton may not be a show that I revisit any time soon, but I will continue to give kudos to Rhimes. Bridgerton is available to stream on Netflix for your viewing pleasure. Is my opinion short-sided? Do you agree? Let me know in the comments below!






Follow us on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook! Subscribe to our YouTube!

Comments