"So What Are You Doing Tonight?": A Review of the "34+35" Remix by Ariana Grande, Doja Cat, and Megan Thee Stallion


"So What Are You Doing Tonight?": 

A Review of the "34+35" Remix by Ariana Grande, Doja Cat and Megan Thee Stallion

Written by: Elyana Riddick || Date: January 15, 2021


    When I first listened to Positions, I cannot tell you how much joy I had in my heart hearing authentic orchestral arrangements on a mainstream album. "34+35" was my second favorite song--a close second to "my hair"--on the album because of the sweet and playful tone of the song. The contrast in timbre in Grande's voice with the strings made for an angelic song with lyrics more attuned to demon hours. It's a song of fiending for love, intimacy, and (because I know my momma reads my posts) stamina. The song was a power piece and most definitely a defining moment in Ariana Grande's already superb career.

    A couple of days ago, it was announced that Grande would have a remix of the song. I was ESTATIC--an already groovy song gaining more talent? I couldn't have asked for more. Before it was revealed, I speculated that Chloe x Halle would have a feature (the silhouettes of the features resembled them), but was still pleased to know that Megan Thee Stallion and Doja Cat were taking the spots (yeah, Chloe, you did call it I will give you credit for that).

    The song released early this morning, around 11:30 my time, but I did not listen to it until late in the afternoon. I was in the perfect set up--boba tea in the cupholders of my dad's car, speakers blazing while waiting to pick up my mom from the braiding salon. I press play and listen...and listen...and the song ends.

    "That was...something."

    I thought I would be blown away by the remix, but in all honesty, I did not enjoy it too much. For one, in technical terms, this song was not a remix. It just had two features. This wasn't a problem for me. In fact, if the song changed in any way, the orchestra student in me might have died a little. Nonetheless, the song stayed intact.

    What bothered me the most was the "cheapness" of the rapping Megan Thee Stallion and Doja Cat brought to the table. Their verses very much felt mass produced--as if they were rushed into getting a feature together and instead of taking time on their lyrics, they threw some words together. Megan's verses felt boring and Doja's verses seemed cut short. I really hate to say it, especially since I usually prefer Megan's music, but Doja Cat's lyrics were better served. The song didn't really fit either of the artists, but if anyone should walk away feeling validated about their addition to "34+35", I think Doja should. 

    I was upset after hearing it Megan's part. In a conversation with my besties, we all agreed that her share of the lyrics felt a little more manufactured. I should've felt content with what I heard. After hearing the song for a second time, my disappointment dissipated a bit. It was acquired taste. While following along with the new lyrics, I realized that there was some cleverness in the new bars. Maybe it was the delivery I was upset about? I can't really be sure. All I know is that I really didn't feel much fire from the song until the second time through and even at then it was a slight kindling.

    I don't have any disappointment towards Grande, Doja, or Megan; rather, I wish something better could have come out of what they produced. "34+35" will always be a favorite of mine on Positions, but maybe next time we give features more time to bring the more heat (because I know they will).

    "34+35 [Remix]" is available for your listening pleasure on Apple Music, Spotify, and YouTubeWhat did you think about the song? Is what I'm saying irking you? Let us know in the comments below. We'd love to hear what you have to say!






Follow us on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook! Subscribe to our YouTube!





    

 

Comments