I've Been a Little Hard to Find: Meet the Founder of SHADES & COLOR Elyana Riddick

 

I've Been a Little Hard to Find (Sorry)... 

Meet the Founder of SHADES & COLOR: Elyana Riddick

Written by: Elyana Riddick || Date: January 12, 2021

    I've written a bunch of reviews, and it just hit me a few minutes ago that I didn't make a post about myself: I've been so caught up in making content that I didn't even give you--my readers--a proper introduction...

    So...hey!

    My name is Elyana Riddick. I am 19 years old and attend Duke University in North Carolina. I grew up in Grand Prairie, Texas--a suburb smack dab in the between the hearts of Dallas and Fort Worth where I attended the Grand Prairie Fine Arts Academy for seven years.

    I've always been a sucker for everything colorful from a very young age. My mom would often tell me that she would have to attend all my field trips in elementary school in fear that I would see a butterfly and abandon my school's group. I don't blame her--there were many a times that that was a serious and legitimate concern. Don't worry, it's not an issue anymore (well maybe for my wallet).

    My love for all things art came from my time at the Grand Prairie Fine Arts Academy (GPFAA). I was in a culture of artists all hours of the day--muscians, vocalists, visual artists, and actors were my best friends, my crushes, my family, and my home. As an orchestra student, I wasn't limited to just my viola: I got to interact with all kinds of students and was able to appreciate and be introduced to so many art forms.

    As a senior in 2020, my end at GPFAA was abrupt, and by the time I was catapulted into my freshman year of college, I was missing artistic atmosphere. Social distancing brought so many challenges. A shorter semester meant less time to myself, and I felt stifled and lonely as a creative. My spark was gone. Thank goodness for Winter Break.

    As I scrolled through my Twitter feed, I found and followed so many new BIPOC artists. Their work absolutely amazed me. I liked, retweeted, and purchased from them so much so that my feed was bustling with new art every time I refreshed my feed. The gears started turning in my head--I went to text Chloe and Zoe (my besties).

    I laid out the idea that I wanted to bring all these people that I saw online together on one platform--interview them, give them praise, and give them exposure. Because they deserved it. Many times I found myself admire the work from what others saw as "amateur artists" more than those in the mainstream. There was so much talent not being recognized, why not create a bullhorn to shout them out? It took a couple of messages, and with the name from Zoe, SHADES & COLOR was born January 9, 2021.

    I have big ideas for this website. Slowly but surely, I'm creating content and getting people on board. It may be on CP time, but trust me--this is going to be something to remember. 

    We're looking for artists of all types to feature on shadesandcolor.com! If you or someone you know is interested in being interviewed? Let us know in the comments! We'd love to hear from you!






Follow us on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook! Subscribe to our YouTube!



Comments