I'm Craving It: Chocolate Pomegranate by Ari Lennox

 

I'm Craving It: Chocolate Pomegranate by Ari Lennox

Written by: Elyana Riddick || Date: January 12, 2021

    After hearing Heaux Tales by Jasmine Sullivan, I realized that I didn't listen to Ari Lennox's most recent single Chocolate Pomegranate. Absolutely disgusted with myself, I was sitting on the iconic beige suede sectional when I rushed to my room (slowed by my little brother's annoying antics), grabbed my headphones, and played it on my computer.

    After finishing the song, I sat in silence with my eyes closed, shaking my head. What was I waiting for? 

    This is a beautiful song. With an electronic musical landscape is an A# major melody. The song is 176 bpm, which may look fast but with the song's drawn-out chords and length of four minutes, the song gives off a tone that makes your soul ascend from your body and fill the space around you. The bass reverberated in my ears, tickling my eardrums. The rhythm was reinforced with the bobbing of my head. It was, in every sense of the word, a vibe. There's not much fluctuation in the tune, but that's okay. The lyrics are what made the song.

      Chocolate Pomegranate is a song of love. Unchangeable, unconditional, unadulterated love. The song is a conversation with another--yearning for reciprocation in a romantic relationship. Despite the lovers' fleeting affection, Lennox includes listeners in her conversation, telling the lover "no one's gonna ride and love you like I do." It oozed out feelings of desperation and almost ravenous craving. You felt Lennox fiending for equity in her relationship.

    With a name like Chocolate Pomegranate, the song is obviously and undoubtedly sexy. In my opinion, if I could hear this song for the first time again, I would turn the lights down low and stare up at my ceiling. The emotion--a feeling of loss and dismissal in a romantic pursuit--nearly brought me to tears. This is a song of fantastic romance and sensual grief. It's a tale of giving lots and receiving less, something that Lennox masterfully projects in her soulful vocals and blissful track. This song just reinforces that Ari Lennox is one of the reason R&B is still alive and prospering in the here and now.

    Chocolate Pomegranate is available for your listening pleasure on Apple Music and Spotify. Let us know what you think about the single in the comments below! We'd love to hear from you!






Follow us on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook! Subscribe to our YouTube!




Comments